- Documenting deployment of multicast routing in the global Internet.
- Receive regular reports on the current state of the deployment of multicast technology. Create "practice and experience" documents that capture the experience of those who have deployed and are deploying various multicast technologies.
- Based on reports and other information, provide feedback to other relevant working groups.
- Develop mechanisms and procedures to aid in the transition to native multicast, where appropriate.
- Develop mechanisms and procedures for sharing operational information to aid in operation of the multicast backbones and interconnects.
This is not meant to be a protocol development Working Group.
|Done||  ||Submit Internet-Draft on inter-provider coordination of the deployment of pruning mrouteds.|
|Done||  ||Establish initial charter, goals, and long-term group agenda.|
|Done||  ||Submit Internet-Draft outlining requirements for the existing MBONE infrastructure.|
|Done||  ||Submit Internet-Draft specifying the use of administratively scoped multicast addresses.|
|Done||  ||Begin work, with RPS WG, on extensions to RPSL to describe multicast routing policy.|
|Dec 99||  ||Submit Internet-Draft specifying the use of native multicast where appropriate (e.g. exchange points).|
|Dec 99||  ||Begin work on document of co-existence strategies for IPv4 multicast and IPv6 multicast.|
|Dec 99||  ||Submit final version of RP document|
|Dec 99||  ||Submit Internet-Draft specifying static allocations in 233/8|
|Mar 00||  ||Submit Internet-Draft on debugging multicast problems.|
|Mar 00||  ||Submit final version of scope zone announcement protocol (MZAP)|
|Mar 00||  ||Submit final version of scoped address discovery protocol (SADP)|
|Mar 00||  ||Submit I-D describing ISP multicast deployment practices|
|RFC2365||Administratively Scoped IP Multicast|
|RFC2588||IP Multicast and Firewalls|
|RFC2776||PS||Multicast-Scope Zone Announcement Protocol (MZAP)|
|RFC3138||Extended Allocations in 233/8|
|RFC3171||IANA Guidelines for IPv4 Multicast Address Assignments|
|RFC3170||IP Multicast Applications: Challenges and Solutions|
|RFC3180||GLOP Addressing in 233/8|