Last Modified: 2003-10-16
The draft names listed below are the starting point for the work in the WG.
MAGMA specifications will include:
- Core IGMPv3/MLDv2 specifications. These specifications will describe the protocol used between hosts and routers to share group membership information. IGMPv3 and MLDv2 build on IGMPv2 and MLDv1 by adding two types of source-specific filtering; "include" (in which the system tells the router exactly which sources it desires) and "exclude" (in which the system tells the router that it does *not* desire a list of sources).
- IGMPv3: The IDMR working group has submitted this for Proposed Standard. MAGMA takes ownership after publication as RFC.
- MLDv2: draft-vida-mld-v2-00.txt
- Multicast Source Filtering API. This specification describes the API used to interact with IGMPv3 and MLDv2 to indicate source filters. - draft-ietf-idmr-msf-api-01.txt
- Host determination of network group membership. In a multicast environment, systems may be interested in learning whether or not there are any group members, in order to save the trouble of sending data that nobody is listening to.
- Multicast Source Notification of Interest Protocol: draft-ietf-idmr-msnip-00
- Multicast forwarding in tree topologies using IGMP/MLD Proxying - Create a single document from: - draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-proxy-00
- Source-Specific Multicast (SSM) consideration document. This work will describe the use of IGMPv3/MLDv2 in an SSM environment. - draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-01.txt
- Considerations for "IGMP snooping" switches (switches that watch IGMP exchanges in order to determine multicast forwarding behavior)
- Multicast Router Discovery: The IDMR working group has submitted this for Proposed Standard. MAGMA takes ownership after publication as RFC. - Snooping Considerations: draft-ietf-idmr-snoop-00.txt
- Group management MIBs - update RFC 2933 for IGMPv3 - update RFC 3019 for MLDv2
- Interaction between IGMP/MLD and routing protocols - draft-ietf-idmr-igmpv3-and-routing-00.txt
- Extensions to MLD supporting anycast group memberships including authentication and access control mechanisms - draft-haberman-ipngwg-host-anycast-00.txt
In addition, this working group will coordinate with other IETF working groups where multicast and anycast group management protocols are utilized as well as coordinating with the Multicast Security WG.
|Done||Submit IGMPv3/MLDv2 Interfactions with Routing Protocols as Informational|
|Done||Submit IGMP/MLD Proxying Specification as Proposed Standard|
|Done||Submit IGMP & MLD Snooping Considerations as Informational|
|Done||Submit SSM considerations for IGMPv3 & MLDv2 as Proposed Standard|
|Done||Submit Multicast Source Filtering API as Informational|
|Dec 03||Submit MSNIP for IPv4 & IPv6 Specification as Proposed Standard|
|Dec 03||Submit IGMPv3/MLDv2 MIB as Proposed Standard|
|RFC3228||BCP||IANA Considerations for IGMP|
|RFC3590||PS||Source Address Selection for the Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) Protocol|
.Minutes for IETF 58 MAGMA Working Group meeting taken by Tom Pusateri <email@example.com> Chairs: Brian Haberman <firstname.lastname@example.org> and Isidor Kouvelas <email@example.com> Magma met on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 in Minneapolis, MN. The Agenda included: 1. Document status updates 2. SSM Administratively Scoped range 3. Updates on the Group Management MIB 4. Updates on the Multicast Router Discovery staus Isidor Kouvelas Source Address selection for MLD has been assigned RFC 3590. Way to go Brian! draft-ietf-magma-msf-api-05.txt in RFC editor queue MLDv2 draft-vida-mld-v2-07.txt in IESG evaluation revised ID due to address minor comments The document that gives IANA guidelines on assigning IPv6 ICMP messages wasn't clear so still need an IANA number. MIB comments to come later in the day on Tuesday. Document on considerations for snooping switches draft-ietf-magma-snoop-10.txt addressing security concerns from Steve Bellovin SSM - draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-05.txt Hugh needs to address comments by Peka Would like people to go to SSM to share thoughts on Administratively Scoped SSM. Brian Haberman Spoke for Julian Chesterfield in his best British accent. recently released -02 version of Group Management MIB draft-ietf-magma-mgmd-mib-01.txt includes feedback from Dave Thaler. requests help on Security Considerations section Dave Thaler Still need to clarify mgmdHostInterfaceVersion in MIB. They have received requests and implemented a knob for an upper bound on the IGMP host version to allow forcing IGMP version 2. He mentioned that many of the snooping switches didn't yet support IGMP v3 snooping and this was affecting his customers. Brian Haberman Multicast Router Discovery draft-ietf-idmr-igmp-mrdisc-10.txt Still needs some IPv6 work. Ask to move it from IDMR to MAGMA. WG decided to accept this. Hugh Hollbrook Hugh asked how eliminating something in Multicast Router Discovery helps MSNIP Isidor Kouvelas Isidor said it was hard to answer off the top of his head and that this would be discussed on the mailing list.