Last Modified: 2004-02-18
This working group is responsible for defining and specifying a limited number of solutions for supporting provider-provisioned Layer-3 (routed) Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs).
The WG is responsible for standardization of the following solutions: 1. BGP/MPLS IP VPNs (based on RFC 2547) 2. IP VPNs using Virtual Routers 3. CE-based VPNs using IPSEC
The following VPN deployment scenarios will be considered by the WG:
1. Internet-wide: VPN sites attached to arbitratry points in the Internet
2. Single SP/single AS: VPN sites attached to the network of a single provider within the scope of a single AS
3. Single SP/multiple AS'es: VPN sites attached to the network of a single provider consisting of multiple AS'es
4. Cooperating SPs: VPN sites attached to networks of different providers that cooperate with each other to provide VPN service
As part of this effort the WG will work on the following tasks (additional work items will require rechartering):
1. Requirements and framework for Layer 3 VPNs 2. Solution documents for each approach listed above (including applicability statements) 3. MIB definitions for each approach 4. Security mechanisms for each approach
As a general rule, the WG will not create new protocols, but will provide functional requirements for extensions of the existing protocols that will be discussed in the protocol-specific WGs. L3VPN WG will review proposed protocol extensions for L3VPNs before they are recommended to appropriate protocol-specific WGs.
Multicast and QoS support are excluded from the charter at this time. They may be considered for inclusion in an updated charter at a later time. Future work items may also include OAM support.
|Done||Submit L3 VPN Requirements Document to IESG for publication as Info|
|Done||Submit Generic Requirements Document to IESG for publication as Info|
|Done||Submit L3 VPN Framework Document to IESG for publication as Info|
|Dec 03||Submit CE-based specification and AS to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-ce-based-03, draft-declercq-ppvpn-ce-based-sol-00, draft-declercq-ppvpn-ce-based-as-01)|
|Dec 03||Submit Virtual Router specification and AS to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-vpn-vr-03, draft-ietf-ppvpn-as-vr-01)|
|Done||Submit VPN Security Analysis to IESG for publication as Info (draft-fang-ppvpn-security-framework-00)|
|Done||Submit BGP/MPLS VPNs specification and AS to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-rfc2547bis-03, draft-ietf-ppvpn-as2547-01)|
|Jan 04||Submit VPN MIB Textual Conventions to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-tc-mib-02)|
|Jan 04||Submit MPLS/BGP VPN MIB to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-mpls-vpn-mib-05)|
|Jan 04||Submit VR MIB to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-vr-mib-04)|
|Jan 04||Submit BGP as an Auto-Discovery Mechanism for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-bgpvpn-auto-05.txt)|
|Mar 04||Submit specification of using IPSEC for PE-PE encapsulation in BGP/MPLS VPNs to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-ipsec-2547-03)|
|Mar 04||Submit specification of using GRE for PE-PE encapsulation in BGP/MPLS VPNs to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-gre-ip-2547-02)|
|Mar 04||Submit specification of CE Route Authentication to IESG for publication as PS (draft-ietf-ppvpn-l3vpn-auth-03)|
|Mar 04||Submit specification of OSPF as the PE/CE Protocol in BGP/MPLS VPNs for publication (draft-rosen-vpns-ospf-bgp-mpls-06.txt)|
Layer 3 Virtual Private Network WG (l3vpn) Tuesday, March 2 at 1415-1515 CHAIRS: Rick Wilder <email@example.com> Ross Callon <firstname.lastname@example.org> Ronald Bonica <email@example.com> AGENDA - Agenda bashing and scribe discovery (chairs) - Review of working group document status (Ross Callon) - Charter Update (Ron Bonica) - draft-townsley-l3vpn-l2tpv3-00.txt (Mark Townsley) - draft-ietf-l3vpn-mgt-fwk-01.txt (Yacine Mghazli) Thanks to Paul Knight and Eric Gray who agreed to take minutes. REVIEW OF WORKING GROUP DOCUMENT STATUS (Ross Callon) L3 Framework <draft-ietf-l3vpn-framework-00.txt> - No change (is in the RFC Editor's Queue, with the document approved for publication) Security Framework <draft-ietf-l3vpn-security-framework-01.txt> - Updated to resolve security directorate comments - Will be published soon after IETF (just missed cutoff date) - To be resubmitted to IESG ASAP L3 Service req'ts <draft-ietf-l3vpn-requirements-00.txt> - Update is in progress based on IESG comments Generic Req'ts <draft-ietf-l3vpn-generic-reqts-03.txt> - Has been updated in response to IESG comments - 3 scenarios for deployment of VPNs Single provider, single-AS Single-provider, multi-AS Multi-provider - Increase in Scaling requirements - Capitalize key words (MUST, SHOULD, MAY, ...) - Clean up references - Editorial / clarification - Has passed l3vpn working group last call - Needs l2vpn working group last call - Then to be resubmitted to IESG BGP/MPLS IP VPNs <draft-ietf-l3vpn-rfc2547bis-01.txt> and <draft-ietf-l3vpn-as2547-03.txt> - Security analysis added to AS - Passed WG last call last October - Updated based on IESG comments - There is one comment to be resolved on applicability statement VR Architecture <draft-ietf-l3vpn-vpn-vr-01.txt> and <draft-ietf-l3vpn-as-vr-01.txt> CE/IPSec Architecture <draft-ietf-l3vpn-ce-based-02.txt> and <draft-declercq-l3vpn-ce-based-as-00.txt> - Security analyses have been added to each AS - Both will be last called ASAP (beginning next week) AS Guidelines - AS's are "done" (two will enter WG last call ASAP) - Guidelines document has timed out - Question to WG: Should we leave it that way? Paul Knight suggested that the A.S. Guidelines should be re-published as an Internet Draft and thereby kept alive until the three Applicability Statements have all completed IESG review and are approved to be published as RFCs. There were no objections to re-submitting the AS guidelines as an internet draft. Terminology <draft-andersson-ppvpn-terminology-04.txt> - Passed WG last call (l3vpn and l2vpn) - Minor update in the works - To be submitted to IESG as soon as the update is complete. Framework for OAM <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mgt-fwk-01.txt> - Is now working group document - Presentation to follow Textual Conventions <draft-ietf-l3vpn-tc-mib-01.txt> - There has been a Minor update Ron Bonica asked the working group whether we needed to repeat the last call due to the minor updates to the textual conventions document. Consensus was no. BGP/MPLS MIB <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mpls-vpn-mib-02.txt> - Last call just prior to this meeting - A few comments were received (mostly editorial) - Update is in progress Virtual Router MIB - Draft has timed out. - This will be re-issued soon after the IETF. CE MIB - There isn't any CE MIB currently. Ron asked whether anyone was interested in working on a CE MIB. There was no response. BGP as Auto-Discovery <draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgpvpn-auto-01.txt> - Minor editorial cleanup is planned. - Should this split into two documents? - Hopefully WG last call soon. Ross offered a personal opinion that it would be faster and probably easier to understand if the BGP autodiscovery document remains as a single document (although it would need to be reviewed by the IDR group, as well as L3VPN). There were no other comments on this from the working group. OSPF as PE/CE Protocol ... <draft-ietf-l3vpn-ospf-2547-01.txt> - Has passed WG Last call in both l3vpn and ospf WGs - A companion document <draft-ietf-ospf-2547-dnbit-01.txt>, which is an OSPF working group document, has also passed WG LC in the ospf and l3vpn working groups. - Has been submitted to IESG BGP/MPLS IPv6 VPNs <draft-ietf-l3vpn-bgp-ipv6-01.txt> PE-PE IPsec for 2547 <draft-ietf-l3vpn-ipsec-2547-01.txt> PE-PE GRE or IP for 2547 <draft-ietf-ppvpn-gre-ip-2547-02.txt> - All of above are stable, no significant recent updates Note that the first of these relates to IPv6. This is not currently in our working group charter, but this will be discussed in the next presentation. CE-to-CE Member Verif'n <draft-ietf-l3vpn-l3vpn-auth-00.txt> - Ron and Michael have agreed to merge documents, but the merge has not yet occurred. CHARTER UPDATE (Ron Bonica). We can start taking on new tasks now that we have reached a state of some completion on the various tasks already in the charter. Ron proposed that we begin work on IPv6 and Multicast, and asked for opinions on whether IPv6 and Multicast are be the correct work items. Yi Qin (or Chen?) said that IPv6 should explicitly include Multicast. Ron suggested that we might want to work on unicast first, Yi suggested that both be added to the charter. There were no objections. Ron said that - on the basis of no opposition - these tasks should be included in the charter. Jaime Miles (Level3) - said that he would like to include inter-provider MPLS/BGP VPN services. Ron asked if these concerns might be already in the L3VPN charter. Ross said that in his opinion the current charter appears to cover inter-provider L3 VPNs. Jaime said that he would put together a list of issues on this topic. BGP/MPLS IP VPNs over Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol version 3 draft-townsley-l3vpn-l2tpv3-00.txt W. Mark Townsley Mark was not available at this time and nobody else stepped forward to do his presentation. In fact Mark had been unable to attend the IETF at the last minute. We therefore moved onto next presentation. FRAMEWORK FOR L3VPN OPERATIONS AND MANAGEMENT draft-ietf-l3vpn-mgt-fwk-01.txt Yacine Mghazli This had been accepted as a working group document at IETF 57. An update of the document has been submitted. The document is at the architectural level. It includes a reference model and management and configuration aspects of L3VPN solutions. Currently the document scope includes only L3VPNs. However, Yacine wants to know if they should include L2VPN in the document. Ross asked how much additional text (as a percentage of the existing text) would be required. Yacine said that it would not be difficult (implying that there would not be any large increase in the document). Loa Andersson said that he feels that this might very well be the right way to handle this, but that it should be discussed during the L2VPN WG meeting the following day. OTHER ITEMS Ross asked if there were any other items to discuss. Vishal Sharma wanted to know if we were going to talk about the generic QoS. Ross said that he has talked about this with ADs and they asked: What if any aspects of QoS would be unique to VPNs? If there are QoS issues specific to VPNs then we could discuss them and see whether we could get these added to the working group charter. However, QoS issues in general (which are not specific to VPNs) are explicitly outside the scope of the working group and are likely to remain out of scope. Vishal Sharma said that people are looking for a BCP or something on QoS over VPN specific services. Ross suggested that we should identify how these things are related explicitly to L3VPNs, or to VPNs in general. The meeting was adjourned.