Last Modified: 2004-07-26
Lemonade's work is at the crossroads of a body of work related to Internet messaging, in particular work done by the VPIM, FAX, and IMAPEXT IETF working groups. Given the potentially broad scope of activities this group could engage in, the group will focus specifically on the following work items:
0. An informational RFC or RFCs will be produced on LEMONADE architecture and the issues it seeks to address.
1. Enhance the existing IMAP4 message retrieval and message submission (RFC 2476) protocols to satisfy the requirements for handling streaming multimedia content. The existing standards-track CONNEG framework will be used if content negotiation capabilities are needed. The group will employ existing protocols (such as for streaming) with IMAP4 instead of duplicating such functionality within IMAP4. 2. Enhance the existing IMAP4 message retrieval and/or message submission (RFC 2476) protocols to satisfy the requirements for forwarding a message and/or its attachments without downloading the message to the client and subsequently uploading the message to a server.
3. Refine the existing IMAP4 message retrieval protocol to facilitate its use with devices that have limited capabilities such as mobile endpoints. At most one backwards compatible profile of IMAP4 will be produced by this effort.
4. Define a format for message notifications for servers reporting message status information to other servers. Specify the method for delivery of those notifications.
5. Create a specification describing the use of Internet message services in environments where message delivery may take place using either Internet protocols or through an MMS server using WAP to communicate with the receiving user agent.
Any protocols defined by this working group will include appopriate security mechanisms, including authentication, privacy, and access control. Mandatory-to-implement security mechanisms will be specified as needed in order to guarantee secure protocol interoperability.
The transport area will be consulted to deal with any transport-related issues that arise, especially in regards to items 1-4 above.
The IAB is currently working on the specification of general guidelines and requirements for notification services. Once complete this work will be used as input to item 4 above.
The working group is aware of several related activities in other groups:
- 3GPP TSG T WG2 SWG3 Messaging
The goal is to coordinate efforts with at least these groups as
While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and
FAX work groups and the similar membership, the working group does not
expect to coordinate with these other groups.
Goals and Milestones:
Jun 03 Submit LEMONADE requirements and architecture specification to
the IESG Jul 03 Submit server to server notification protocol to the IESG Sep 03 Submit IMAP4 and message submission extensions for streaming
multimedia to the IESG Nov 03 Submit IMAP4 profile for mobile devices to the IESG
No Request For Comments
Current Meeting ReportNone received.
Goals for Internet Messaging to Support Diverse Service Environments
Message Submission BURL Extension
Lemonade Profile and Related Mobile Drafts
The goal is to coordinate efforts with at least these groups as required.
While there is obvious synergy, given the end-of-life of the VPIM and FAX work groups and the similar membership, the working group does not expect to coordinate with these other groups.