This Working Group did not meet
NOTE: This charter is a snapshot of the 59th IETF Meeting in Seoul, Korea. It may now be out-of-date.
Last Modified: 2003-12-03
The purpose of the Prefix Taxonomy Ongoing Measurement & Inter Network Experiment WG is to consider and measure the problem of routing table growth and possible interim methods for reducing the impact of routing table resource consumption within a network and the global Internet. The first step of the WG is to define the impacts on routing resource consumption and to identify the problems facing routing scalability.
The next step is to develop suggestions for filtering and aggregating prefixes to reduce an individual network's routing table size and route processing load and to suggest possible knobs that result in the least loss of reachability if such methods are determined to be feasible in addressing the problem. This work may possibly define a framework for larger efforts to address the problems facing interdomain routing scalability.
1) To provide a clear definition of the problems facing Internet Routing Scaling today. This includes routing table size and route processing load.
2) To provide a taxonomy to describe prefix information for peer review.
3) To collate measurements of routing table scaling data and publish a reference list.
4) To discuss and document methods of filtering/aggregating prefix information and to discuss and document what support from protocols or vendor knobs that might be helpful in doing this. In addition, to suggest policy guidelines to RIRs, LIRs and/or ISPs for allocations and aggregations,etc. that may be useful.
5) To determine the long and short term effects of filtering/aggregating prefixes to reduce router resource consumption.
6) To develop methods of controlling policy information propagation in order to limit the need for propagation of prefix sub-aggregates.
Some Relevant References:
http://www.antc.uoregon.edu/route-views/ http://www.pch.net/routing/BGP_table_size.html http://moat.nlanr.net/AS http://www.pch.net/documents/data/routing-tables/route-views.oregon-ix. n et/ http://www.employees.org/~tbates/cidr-report.html http://www.telstra.net/ops/bgp/index.html http://www.apnic.net/stats/bgp http://www.merit.edu/ipma
|Nov 01||Submit Taxonomy Internet-Draft|
|Dec 01||Submit Filtering/Aggregation Internet-Draft|
|Dec 01||Submit Problem Statement Internet-Draft|
|Jan 02||Submit References Internet-Draft|
|Feb 02||Submit Policy Propagation Internet-Draft|