2.7.10 Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)

NOTE: This charter is a snapshot of the 63rd IETF Meeting in Paris, France. It may now be out-of-date.

Last Modified: 2005-06-02


Brian Pawlowski <beepy@netapp.com>
Spencer Shepler <spencer.shepler@sun.com>

Transport Area Director(s):

Allison Mankin <mankin@psg.com>
Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>

Transport Area Advisor:

Jon Peterson <jon.peterson@neustar.biz>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: nfsv4@ietf.org
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/index.html

Description of Working Group:

The objective of this working group is to advance the state of NFS
technology by producing specifications to extend the original NFS
Version 4 work (RFC 3010) to provide additional capabilities, as
described below.

o NFS version 4

  Advance the protocol along the standards track, coordinating the
  development of test suites to provide a high level of implementation
  quality. The ONC RPC standards that NFSv4 references must also be
  advanced. This includes work to make NFSv4 and the underlying ONC RPC
  protocol compatible with IPv6.  Specifically, we will advance RFC
  3010, RFC 1831, RFC 1833 and RFC 2203 to Draft Standard. The working
  group will help advance related security RFCs, specifically through
  the definition of a method to advance APIs.

o Replication and Migration

  The original working group defined a mechanism for NFS clients and
  servers to support replication and migration of data transparently
  to an application.  Left undefined in the initial work was the
  server back end migration and replication mechanism.  The working
  group will produce a draft submission of a replication/migration
  protocol that supports NFS Version 4 clients - needed to create and
  maintain replicated filesystems as well as migrating filesystems
  from one location to another -  and servers for consideration as
  Proposed Standard.

o Management

  The working group will produce a draft submission for consideration
  as Proposed Standard of a management MIBs to provide better
  management and administration capabilities for NFS and ONC RPC.

o Minor Versions

  NFS Version 4 contains within it the capability for minor versioning.
  Some discussions within the working group suggest addressing
  additional requirements over the original charter.  The WG will work
  to identify additional requirements for NFSv4 and determine if they
  are appropriate and worthwhile for a minor version.  This work may
  lead to proposals for additional work items.  If it does a specific
  proposal to add these work items to the charter will be forwarded to
  the IESG and IAB.

o RDMA/RDDP enabling

  The performance benefit of RDMA/RDDP transports in NFS-related
  applications, by reducing the overhead of data and metadata
  exchange, has been demonstrated sufficiently such that the
  working group will pursue in parallel enabling NFS and RPC over
  the transport defined by the RDDP working group. The WG will
  restrict its initial activities to defining the problem
  statement and specifying the requirements for possible
  extensions to RPC and NFS (in the context of a minor

Goals and Milestones:

Done  Issue strawman Internet-Draft for v4
Done  Submit Initial Internet-Draft of requirements document
Done  Submit Final Internet-Draft of requirements document
Done  AD reassesses WG charter
Done  Submit v4 Internet-Draft sufficient to begin prototype implementations
Done  Begin Interoperability testing of prototype implementations
Done  Submit NFS version 4 to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard.
Done  Conduct final Interoperability tests
Done  Conduct full Interoperability tests for all NFSv4 features
Done  Update API advancement draft
Done  Form core design team to work on NFS V4 migration/replication requirements and protocol
Done  Submit revised NFS Version 4 specification (revision to RFC 3010) to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Done  Strawman NFS V4 replication/migration protocol proposal submitted as an ID
Mar 03  ADs to submit API advancement internet draft as informational RFC (needed to advance GSSAPI to Draft Standard to allow advancement of NFS Version 4)
Mar 03  Continued interoperability testing of NFS Version 4
Apr 03  Internet draft on NFS V4 migration/replication requirements
Apr 03  AD review of NFS V4 migration/replication requirements draft
Apr 03  Creation of internet draft on ONC RPC MIB
Apr 03  Revision of internet draft on NFS MIB
Apr 03  Draft problem statement I-D for NFS/RPC/RDDP submitted
May 03  Document full Interoperability tests for all NFSv4 features
Jun 03  Depending on results of AD review of NFS Version 4 migration/replication requirements document, review scope of task
Jun 03  Submit related Proposed Standards required by NFS Version 4 for consideration as Draft Standards to IESG - RFCs 1831, 1833, 2203, 2078, 2744, RFC 1964, & 2847
Jun 03  Draft requirements document I-D for NFS/RPC/RDDP submitted
Jun 03  Submit ONC RPC and NFS MIBs to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standards
Jun 03  Submit an NFS V4 migration/replication protocol to IESG for consideration as a Proposed Standard
Jun 03  Submit report on results of NFS version 4 RFC interoperability testing
Jul 03  AD review of NFS/RPC/RDDP progress and charter
Jul 03  Interoperability tests of NFS V4 migration/replication
Aug 03  Submit revised NFS Version 4 Proposed Standard for consideration as Draft Standard to IESG


  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1832bis-06.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpc-iana-03.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-rfc1831bis-05.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-channel-bindings-03.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement-02.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-01.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-01.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-directory-delegation-01.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-sess-02.txt
  • draft-ietf-nfsv4-referrals-00.txt

    Request For Comments:

    RFC2623 PS NFS Version 2 and Version 3 Security Issues and the NFS Protocol's Use of RPCSEC_GSS and Kerberos V5
    RFC2624 I NFS Version 4 Design Considerations
    RFC3010 PS NFS version 4
    RFC3530 PS Network File System (NFS) version 4 Protocol

    Current Meeting Report

    Network File System Version 4 (nfsv4)


    Spencer Shepler <Spencer.Shepler@sun.com>
    Brian Pawlowski <beepy@netapp.com>

    AGENDA: Tuesday, August 2, 2005: 14:00pm - 16:00 (2 hour)
    Subject to change
    Welcome and Introduction        (beepy)        2 min
    Agenda bash
    - Blue Sheets

    Agenda bashed, blue sheeted and noted well. All your IP is belong to us.
    June Bakeathon results        (Shepler)        10 min
    NFS V4 interoperability testing

    No issues found, two new participants in interoperability testing.

    Sun is exploring ACL model in context of new local file system.

    Next IETF meeting is early in November. Some discussion on best practices for setting up Active Directory for security thingies.

    Action Item: Next Bakeathon Active Directory and KDC testing and issue identification.

    Honeyman suggested we're getting to point where maybe we need only 2 Bakeathons a year. Shepler to take to mail list.

    Looking for a sponsor for next Bakeathon at CITI/UMich after Austin.

    pNFS                                                  20 min
    - June discussion summary
    - drafts review
    - adding to the NFSv4 charter.

    Garth led discussion. Better support of cluster file systems? Noveck responded on mail list - maybe the issues shoul be factored out of the pNFS draft.

    Other issue is possible race conditions between LAYOUT_GET and other calls. Because of two connections. Likely a STATE_ID or SEQUENCE_ID? David Black said Highroad experience suggested that sequencing needed?

    Byte range delegations - should be done in one way. Whole idea came out of pNFS but useful outside of it. Delegation needed to safely cache layouts - coupled to byte range delegation. Pull out of pNFS and factor into NFS V4.1.

    Dragon in the work (David Black) caching only valid over the byte range delegation.

    Linux EXT3 may have issues with change time... as a way to implement consistency. The V4 protocol requires a real change attribute. Bruce Fields said there is a client checking change time in a single compoound after mod (?) and it is failing to detect change? Spencer observes we shouldn't try to fix broken file systems in protocol. (Aside from Brent Welch - is there a client flush operation? - yes, session bring down signals to server to reap all state held for that client).

    David Black said blocks draft is hakey jakey.

    Brent Welch thinks byte range delegations are good - may need stronger cache consistency metric rather than change time. Some back and forth regarding whether NFS cache consistency (strong) is sufficient for apps - thought is keep it simple and let apps do what apps do anyway. Can you give apps serialization with advisory locks - yes.

    Brent Welch summarized. Main ops draft looks good. Metadata issue with clustering may need address. There are a handful of issues in main ops draft. State ID on layouts...

    Three docs need to be smoothed out amongst themselves. Garth Goodson observed we may have to add striping and mirroring concessions to main doc.

    Need to take this discussion to alias.

    Mark Eshel raised striping and parallel READDIRPLUS. Caused people distress.

    Need to convert pNFS drafts to working group drafts.

    Work to combine SECINFO, Sessions,    (Shepler)                20 min
    and directory delegations into
    the first draft of NFSv4 minor version 1.
    - Next steps
    - Plan for standards track entry
    - Owners

    Shepler made weak and feebles. His new commitment is September 6.
    Collapsing individual drafts. Cleaning up.

    Sessions draft etc. have lots of background that needs pruning.
    Shepler will generate an XDR file for .1 extensions. Bruce Fields - why do all things have to go into one minor version? Maybe overhead of discussion should be amortized...

    Interoperability testing to be done in February likely. Shepler wants to have two independent implementations before WG last call.

    Is there a chance for pNFS to get into 4.1... Or should it be 4.2?
    We could do in parallel...

    We need directory delegations implementation before February.

    Concern in room about lack of interest? I'm confused.

    September 15... for WG ready and vetted pNFS - we will discuss at that time whether 4.1 or not.

    NFS DNS Considerations for identities and ACLS        10 min
    - Discussion

    DNS config proposal. Brent Welch - isn't LDAP better? User and Group ID mapping - no, just domain I am playing in. Which domain.

    UID/GID name space at sun.com - regardless of sub-domains...Want a single record to present the "realm" binding for identity.

    NFS Referrals                     10 min

    Carl Burnett and Dave Noveck to move forward as informational RFC explaining how to use "referrals" for migration/replication.
    Shepler will tell them to move forward.

    (Nico mentioned minor version negotiation? Shepler to see if he can get consensus.)

    RFC3530 I18N issues        (Williams)            5 min

    There are none? Nico was going to try and convince people of a string profile... But he is giving up? There is no desire in related communities.

    SPKM alternative for NFSv4        (Williams)        5 min

    It will be a lot easier to specify a DTLS (?) mechanism for SPKM.

    Need a meeting to iron out with relevant parties on moving forward SPKM. beepy observed we might need a respin if we don't simply drop. Andy Adamson and Peter Honeyman are sympathetic to DTLS.

    Lots of discussion to be had...

    Status of NFS/RDMA                (Talpey)            5 min
    - Next steps
    - Plan for standards track entry

    Problem Statement is done deal. Move forward. NFS RDMA is a RPC tweak document. Direct Data Placement drafts.

    Mallikarjun's comments from March need merging... Talpey to be spanked.

    Incosistencies in text and protocol description - of sessions.
    Talpey to fix. By September 6.

    Several implementations. Problem Statement to go to last call.
    WG call for final comments on the September 6 drafts.

    WG Goals/Milestones            (Shepler)        15 min

    Spencer Shepler...

    API advancement draft removed from work queue. Migration/replication is in charter - IBM is whacking on something - need to reconcile with CITI stuff. beepy to try and wrest something out of these guys.

    MIB work. What to do... Adamson wants to review the MIB draft...he will give to student (expired draft) to revise. Shepler to send expired draft.

    The testing document to advance draft. For next summer consideration because we want some more maturity in the interoperability.

    Move forward DNS record stuff, etc. See slides. WG last call for minor version in late spring proposed. Hufferd asked about testing of RDDP...

    pNFS to be moved forward with approval of area directors - beepy to drive... Garth Goodson to own driving con calls... September 15.

    Security considerations for DNS record... Nico raised - will have to be resolved... Need consideration - Spencer Shepler owns.

    Kitten chair... asked about channel bindings document... asking about channel bindings work... Shepler responded we're at point of doing implementation work - need to follow up with Mike Eisler on state of doc...
    Wrapup                    (beepy)                1 m

    Well done everybody...

    (Small asides on color blindedness and blue sheets)...


    NFSv4 @ IETF63
    NFS/RDMA Status