Last Modified: 2005-09-20
Open Edu Team meeting
Minutes: Mirjam Kuehne
Open Edu Team meeting at IETF64 - 08.11.2005
Avri described the charter and the plans for this year
A suggestion was made to put the presentations up on the edu team
pages in pdf and not only ppt.
Edu team expects to launch two new training topics this year:
a. Bringing new work to the IETF
Thomas Narten draft on "How to run a successful BoF" might be
interesting in that context. But the tutorial needs to cover more than
Brian shows a picture that describes the IETF workflow.
The Tao seems to start at BoF, WGs etc. It does not cover the process
before that (from having an idea to having a document or a BoF)
People think this is a very important topic and should still be
pursued by the Edu team
b. IETF protocol engineering fundamentals
not really done, but a number of technical tutorials have been given
a good thing to do if we can do it, it is hard though
Scott is thinking about adding something like this as part of his day
job and offers to give it to the Edu team once it is done.
In addition to that there is a piece in the edu team charter:
"Over the next several months, the EDU Team will work with the Internet
Society (ISOC) Standards Publications and Resources committee to
develop a proposal for a periodic joint publication that will
summarize and explain the major activities of the IETF. This proposal
will be publicly presented and submitted for IESG review and approval."
Brian thinks this is a very good piece of work. He handed them out in
China to pretty senior people. Brian believes there should be an
independent charter for the IETF Journal. We need to keep it going.
Brian thinks there is should be an editorial and/or review board.
Scott reads a piece out of RFC2026: it talks about sannouncements of tandards need to
published in an ISOC Newsletter.
2005 Activities - General Classes:
see Avri's slides
2005 Activities - WG chair lunches:
see Avri's slides
There is a concern that we only reach the same WG chairs each time.
we cannot make it mandatory, but the ADs should strongly encorage the
WG chairs in there area to attend.
Brian suggest to have lunches not only educationally, but also as a
Scott mentions that we tried to do this three times, and that it didn't
really work out so well. Maybe we didn't have a good moderator.
Thomas suggested to start a discussion on the WG char mailing list
before the meeting.
2005 Activities - IETF Journal pilot issue
Proposed Plans for 2006:
- go to a 6 class schedule
- twqo of them permanent classes:
- Newcomers Training
- RFC editors training
- continue working towards class on bringing work into the IETF
- work with the IESG
- continue introducing new topics:
- e.g. XML, MPLS/GMPLS, internet telephony, topics and addressing
- protocol engineering fundamentals
- new process classes
- e.g. IPR
- Sunday program. Is it:
- the right day?
- the right schedule?
- attendance tracking, i.e. yellow sheets
- is it worth doing?
- what will be do with the information
- we could use it to get feedback from attendees (see below)
- feedback on classes
- consider on-line questionnaire, similar to the ISOC surveys
- there was such survey after the Paris IETF, about 20% completed them
- ISOC can help with that
- we could add a section to the existing survey (Avri will do that)
- types of classes
- should more workshops be held?
- with facilitators?
Suggestion to facilitate a meeting for WG chairs.
Thomas does not think we should be holding workshops, we can
facilitate them, but they should be driven by a subject matter and
people interested in the topic. Believes the Edu team should be
inward focusing; improving the way the IETF is working
suggestion to introduce a session on how to write an RFC in XML and
the tools one can use to help.
Maybe a class is not the right answer, an template plus an FAQ might
Thomas not clear why we are limited to two slots on Sunday.
Couldn't we also have tutorials during lunch hours? If we'd do that
there needs to be a possibility to grab some food.
Minor detail: a third room would need to be in Ray's budget.
Spencer suggests to not only have rotating classes, but also rotating
trainers. Maybe we should have a pool of trainers for each class.
Classes for IETF 65:
2. RFC Editor
Elwin volunteers to put together am xml2rfc tutorial for the next IETF.
5. How to bring new work to the IETF
Thomas volunteers to put a tutorial together for the next IETF.
6. MPLS tutorial would be useful.
Who should we ask to be a trainer?
Elwin suggests educover the whole area around VPN.
Thomas suggests to send a question to the IETF mailing list asking for
areas and interests plus volunteers to train those topics (Avri will
We should try to find a WG chair lunch topic earlier.