2.4.6 Internet and Management Support for Storage (imss)

NOTE: This charter is a snapshot of the 64th IETF Meeting in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada. It may now be out-of-date.

Last Modified: 2005-10-21


David Black <black_david@emc.com>

Operations and Management Area Director(s):

Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>
David Kessens <david.kessens@nokia.com>

Operations and Management Area Advisor:

Bert Wijnen <bwijnen@lucent.com>

Technical Advisor(s):

Keith McCloghrie <kzm@cisco.com>
Margaret Wasserman <margaret@thingmagic.com>

Mailing Lists:

General Discussion: imss@ietf.org
To Subscribe: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/imss/index.html

Description of Working Group:

Fibre Channel is a high speed network technology primarily used for
storage networking (i.e., Storage Area Networks [SANs]). Two
important aspects of Fibre Channel interact with the Internet:
        - Fibre Channel can encapsulate and carry IP protocol traffic
        - Fibre Channel devices can be managed via SNMP

The Internet and Management Support for Storage WG (imss) is chartered
to address two areas, specifically:
        - IPv4 over Fibre Channel has been specified in RFC 2625. A
          corresponding specification for IPv6 is needed.
        - An initial Fibre Channel Management MIB has been developed by
          the IP Storage (ips) WG; extensions are needed to encompass
          management of additional aspects of Fibre Channel, such
          as zoning.

In the future, other storage related MIBs for other storage transports
such as INCITS T10 Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) or SCSI command specific
MIBs may be proposed. This group would work with the appropriate
technical committee(s) in a manner similar to that described for
T11 below.

As Fibre Channel standardization is handled by the INCITS T11 Technical
Committee (http://www.t11.org), a close working relationship with T11
is essential to the WG's success. In particular:
      - The IPv6 over Fibre Channel specification will be based on
        draft-desanti-ipv6-over-fibre-channel-02.txt. This draft
        was originally developed within a T11 study group and T11
        has officially recommended this draft to the IETF.
      - The WG will not standardize management of Fibre Channel 
        features ahead of their incorporation into appropriate T11
        Fibre Channel standards.
      - The WG will work closely with T11, specifically Task Group
        T11.5, on the functionality and structure of the MIBs it     
        develops for management of Fibre Channel.

In addition to working closely with the INCITS T11 Technical
this Working Group will work closely with IETF IPv6 Working Group as
appropriate. In particular, the IPv6 Working Group will be kept
informed on the progress and status of the IPv6 over Fibre Channel
specification. The IMSS Working Group Last Call announcement will be
cross-posted to the IPv6 WG mailing list.

Goals and Milestones:

Done  Submit IPv6 over Fibre Channel draft to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done  Submit Fibre Channel Fabric Address Manager MIB to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done  Submit Fibre Channel Name Server MIB to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Done  Work with T11.5 to determine what additional MIB modules are needed
Feb 2006  Submit Routing Information, FSPF and Virtual Fabrics MIBs to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard
Apr 2006  Review working group charter and determine what additional work, if any, should be undertaken by working group


  • draft-ietf-imss-fc-nsm-mib-03.txt
  • draft-ietf-imss-fc-fam-mib-02.txt
  • draft-ietf-imss-ip-over-fibre-channel-02.txt
  • draft-ietf-imss-fc-rtm-mib-01.txt
  • draft-ietf-imss-fc-fspf-mib-01.txt
  • draft-ietf-imss-fc-virtual-fabrics-mib-00.txt

    Request For Comments:

    RFC3831 Standard Transmission of IPv6 Packets over Fibre Channel

    Current Meeting Report

    Internet and Management Support for Storage (imss) WG
    Meeting - Vancouver, Canada
    Tuesday, November 8, 2005: 1740-1840
    Administrivia, agenda bashing, draft status review, etc.: 15 min
    		David L. Black, EMC (new imss WG chair)
    	Blue sheets
    	Note Well
    	Milestones (see WG charter page on IETF web site)
    	WG Draft status
    		- IP over FC draft is in IETF Last Call
    		- FAM and NSM MIBs should go to IETF Last Call by the
    			end of next week (Keith McCloghrie and Bert Wijnen
    			will coordinate to make this happen).
    		- Remaining 3 WG MIBs will go to WG Last Call by end
    			of November.
    --> Record status
    T11.5 Status, Fibre Channel MIBs under development: 20 min
    		Roger Cummings (Symantec, T11.5 chair)
    See slides.
    T11.5 has 3 more MIBs that will be sent to the imss WG - Zone Server
    MIB, Registered State Change Notification MIB, and Fabric Configuration
    Server MIB.  The imss WG's current Apr 06 milestone to determine what
    to do next will be replaced by a milestone (later in 2006) to work on
    these 3 MIBs.  These 3 MIBs may not be ready for handoff to imss prior
    to the next IETF meeting, but the mechanism used in Paris for the VF
    MIB can be reused - the imss WG can decide to accept the drafts
    as official WG drafts subject to a pending T11 formal votes to pass
    change control to the IETF.
    T11.5 is considering assigning MIB development responsibility to protocol
    development work groups instead of the current approach of having a separate
    group that works on MIBs.  This will be discussed at the T11 meetings in
    early December.
    FLIP (FAIS Line Interface Protocol) Conceptual Discussion: 25 min
    		Roger Cummings (Symantec)
    See presentation.  Netconf appears promising for the configuration
    aspects of FLIP, but currently contains no support for events or
    notifications from the configured device.  Use of netconf would
    result in functionality at the level of the configuration model
    instead of a 1-1 match between FAIS API calls and RPCs.  The
    required event/notification mechanism needs to be capable of
    carrying a fair amount of structured information - it is somewhat
    analogous to the use of COPS to ask a policy decision point
    "I just received this RSVP reservation request, what should I do
    about it?".  There are also concerns about effective transmission
    of bulk binary data (encoding in XML is unworkable, but encapsulation
    or wrapping in XML is probably ok).  The netconf group is not currently
    standardizing schemas, but will want/need to, so this could be a
    timely interaction between imss and netconf.  Roger will send a
    note to the netconf list soliciting interest in helping with
    schema definition.
    The FLIP concept and suggested use of netconf will be discussed
    further at T11 before the next imss WG meeting (March 2006, Dallas).


    IMSS Vancouver Agenda
    T11.5 Status for IMSS
    FLIP Architecture & Requirements