Re: US DoD and IPv6

Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com> Fri, 08 October 2010 13:46 UTC

Subject: Re: US DoD and IPv6
From: Steve Crocker <steve@shinkuro.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:47:20 -0400
To: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

Let me say this more strongly.  These two defects, "it wasn't economically feasible ... and it didn't offer any interesting/desirable new capabilities" were mild compared to an even bigger defect: There simply wasn't a technically feasible plan on the table for co-existence and intercommunication of IPv4 and IPv6 networks.

In addition to working our way through the IPv6 adoption and co-existence process, I think it would be useful to do a little soul-searching and ask ourselves if we're so smart, how come we couldn't design a next generation IP protocol and work out a technically viable adoption and co-existence strategy.  The "dual stack" approach implicitly assumed everyone would have both an IPv6 and an IPv4 address.  If everyone has both kinds of addresses, that implicitly asserts there's no visible shortage of IPv4 addresses, which is contrary to fundamental reason IPv6 is needed.  Further, although some scenarios suggest IPv4 usage will start to decline steeply once IPv6 transport, products and services are widely available, the safer bet is that IPv4 networks will persist for a fairly long time, say 20 to 50 years.

Steve