Re: [BEHAVE] Comments on draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00

Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at> Wed, 10 November 2010 17:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:40:43 -0800
From: Matthew Kaufman <matthew@matthew.at>
To: teemu.savolainen@nokia.com
Cc: draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis@tools.ietf.org, behave@ietf.org, dthaler@microsoft.com
Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] Comments on draft-korhonen-behave-nat64-learn-analysis-00

On 11/10/2010 8:24 AM, teemu.savolainen@nokia.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for feedback. Some clarifying questions
>
> 1)Do you mean such applications cannot even do single DNS query just
> for learning the NSP (DNS-less host?)? Even if after that they could
> continue their non-DNS using procedures? What could they do then?

I'm ok with a single DNS query (in fact, I don't see any other good
solution that I can use as an app developer who can't change the OS I'm
running on), but it needs to be sufficient to calculate all future
mappings... so I need to get prefix and (if necessary) the algorithm by
which the bottom part is computed this way.

> 2)This sounds like a very hard problem, as how can you possibly tell
> how many NAT64s there are in an access network? Maybe by downloading
> some kind of a NAT64 table from network (with DHCPv6?) ? For the case
> access network does not support discovery of NAT64s with any explicit
> means, what else host can do than maybe query dozen names (with
> significantly different IPv4-only addresses) and then live with the
> NSPs obtained with such an attempt? (send more than two hundred A
> queries for each /8 subnet in existence?-)

One would hope that your DNS64 knows about all your NAT64 options. The
problem of course is when it tries to be smart, and give you different
NAT64 based on things like where the IPv4 traffic is going.

> Suggestions for better than the proposed ones are also welcome. For
> both cases: network assisted and without network assistance.

My present best suggestion is to force the application to make a AAAA
query for <ipv4-literal>.<magic-suffix> for every single address. Pretty
easy to tell if your DNS server is answering those, and once it is it
probably isn't that hard to do a query for every v4 literal you might
need to use. It solves the algorithm problem as well as the
multiple-exits problem., but requires nothing additional that the app
might not be able to change. It changes the title from "Proposal for
hosts to learn NAT64 prefix" to "Proposal for hosts to learn
NAT64-mapped address".

In short, instead of asking for the AAAA for
"what-is-my-NAT64-prefix.arpa" you would ask for the AAAA for
"192.0.2.1.is-there-a-NAT64-mapping.arpa" for every single literal you
need translated.

Matthew Kaufman