[openpgp] Using Git for RFC 4880bis

Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net> Sat, 25 June 2016 15:41 UTC

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg@fifthhorseman.net>
To: IETF OpenPGP <openpgp@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:41:19 -0400
Subject: [openpgp] Using Git for RFC 4880bis

Hi OpenPGP folks--

As i understand it, Werner is currently working on his draft of 4880bis
using a pandoc2rfc toolchain.  If we choose to adopt this draft (see my
previous e-mail to the list), the underlying source of the document will
actually be markdown.

The work is being kept under revision control using git.

We appreciate (and encourage!) any changes people want to suggest the
usual way: via an e-mail to this mailing list explaining what text you
think needs to be changed and why.

However, some people may find it more convenient to propose specific
machine-readable changes that can be applied directly to the source; if
you want to do that, making them in the form of patches against the
markdown is probably best.

A public-facing copy of the git repo is hosted at gitlab for anyone who
wants to make edits against the source:

  https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis

If you want to submit patches to the markdown in the draft's working
copy, you can send them directly to this mailing list.  I'm happy to
help folks sort out using "git send-email" if they want guidance on
making this toolchain work.  In my own local copy, i've done:

    git config sendemail.to 'IETF OpenPGP WG <openpgp@ietf.org>'

I find the documentation presented by "git help send-email" to be useful
if you're unfamiliar with this workflow.  Also, feel free to ask me for
help if you have any questions with the tooling.

While it's ok to submit pull requests or open issues (as placeholders
for things that need to be addressed) via the gitlab repository, all
IETF discussion should end up taking place on this mailing list.  See
CONTRIBUTING.md in the git repo if you're considering gitlab as a place
to report issues.

Whenever substantial changes to the document have been made and
stabilized by WG consensus, we'll tag the git repo and submit another
revision of the draft to the IETF datatracker so that changes and
progress are visible to everyone, including the folks who are not using
git.

Please speak up if you have any concerns or questions about this
mechanism.

        --dkg