Re: Flushing of MaxAge LSAs from Database.

Acee Lindem <acee@REDBACK.COM> Mon, 17 May 2004 01:26 UTC

Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 21:26:32 -0400
From: Acee Lindem <acee@REDBACK.COM>
Subject: Re: Flushing of MaxAge LSAs from Database.
To: OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

----- Original Message -----
From: "Singh, Gurpreet" <Gurpreet.Singh@SPIRENTCOM.COM>
To: <OSPF@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2004 8:07 PM
Subject: Flushing of MaxAge LSAs from Database.

> Hi
>
> I have a question regarding the flushing of MaxAge LSAs in the OSPF
> Database.
>
> RFC 2328 does say that premature flushing of LSAs can only be done by the
> originator of the LSA only but is this valid for naturally aged LSAs in a
> router's Database also. i.e. Can only the Originating router flush the
> naturally aged LSA (when the LS age reaches MaxAge) or any router can flush
> the naturally aged LSA.

Hi Gurpreet,

Since the LSA age has reached MaxAge, this isn't considered "premature" aging
and any router detecting the condition will flood the MaxAged LSA. This has
always seemed like a questionable design choice to me since it may result in
many routers flooding the MaxAge LSA at approximately the same time.
However, our implementation follows the specification.

Hope this helps,
Acee