Re: [radext] #148: Review of dynamic-discovery by Jim Schaad

Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu> Wed, 06 March 2013 12:31 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 13:31:43 +0100
From: Stefan Winter <stefan.winter@restena.lu>
To: radext@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [radext] #148: Review of dynamic-discovery by Jim Schaad

Hi,

> Did you consider the use of SNI as part of your solution?  This would allow
> for the use a different certificates for each thing you proxy and thus would
> reduce the need to re-issue certificates.  The only thing that would be
> needed is to add a new certificate for each new proxied realm

Back in the day: no :-)

But looking at SNI now sure looks somewhat promising. It's not a clear
winner though:

SNI as per the current RFC6066 definition includes only DNS hostnames.

The discovery algorithm in this draft will at some point end up at a
host which is responsible for a realm - but that does not mean this
hosts' DNS name is identical to the realm that was being queried. If ID
management is outsourced, the realm and the hostname can be completely
unrelated.

In a "dream world" where SNI would allow SAN:othername as an indication,
this might work pretty well though. It could combine Sam's
"SAN:othername realm=whatever " construct and combine it with a
client-side hint in SNI: please show me a certificate with this
SAN:othername included.

This would nicely bond together the realm, and the verification that the
discovered server is authorised for that particular realm (disregarding
the DNS host name).

As you correctly point out, this would *still* be less than practical in
a large-scale deployment, where an aggregation proxy would need to be
issued "hundreds" of certificates by a CA, but it would at least in
principle be a rather clean approach.

That said, the only way to get other names besides DNS names into SNI
would be by updating RFC6066. Certainly not impossible, but a big caliber.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter