[Roll] interest in mixed network topology

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 11 February 2014 19:38 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: draft-ko-roll-mix-network-pathology@tools.ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:38:00 -0500
Sender: mcr@sandelman.ca
Cc: roll@ietf.org, Ines Robles <mariainesrobles@googlemail.com>
Subject: [Roll] interest in mixed network topology

draft-ko-roll-mix-network-pathology, which expires on Friday from:
   http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ko-roll-mix-network-pathology/

describes a way to do mixed storing/non-storing topologies.   My first
question is to the authors:
  1) do you continue to pursue this work?  What is your intent for this
     document?
  2) will you update with any new results?

To the WG:
  3) is there interest in persuing this line of investigation at this time?
     We had previously put investigation of this on hold until we figured out
     a number of other things.   Please read this document, and consider
     whether this document would help advance this, or if we need one or a
     number of approaches.
     Do we have a good enough problem statement?

If we recharter in Toronto, I would expect that solving this problem will among the most
important reasons to re-charter.

(again, please recall that absence of comments implies disinterest. +1 are welcome)

Abstract

   The RPL specification allows nodes running with storing or non-
   storing modes to operate in the same network.  We describe how such a
   mix can result in network partitioning even when there are plenty of
   physical links available in the network.  The partitioning affects
   both upwards (nodes to root) and downwards (root to leaf) traffic.
   This routing pathology stems from a recommendation made in the RPL
   specification forcing nodes with different modes of operation to join
   the RPL network as leaf nodes only.  We propose a solution that
   modifies RPL by mandating that all the nodes parse and interpret
   source routing headers and storing mode nodes to sometimes act like a
   non-storing mode root by attaching source routing headers.

IETF ROLL WG co-chair.    http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/roll/charter/