Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text for local recording use case

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 24 August 2011 08:50 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Cullen Jennings <fluffy@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2011 10:51:15 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text for local recording use case

Cullen,

In principle, copying real-time media to JS would certainly be a very flexible solution. However, depending exactly what the JS wants to use it for, I suspect there might possibly be performance issues.

Would there also be a requirement for passing media data from JS back down to the browser for transmission to the remote browser? I am thinking in particular of warning tone/announcements when recording is taking place, but of course it could be used for whatever you want.

The concept of passing media data up to JS / down to the browser would also be a solution for remote recording (if we decide we need it). The JS could then pass the collected data back down to another PeerConnection object for sending to the remote recording device. This in particular would need to be considered from a performance point of view - would passing it up to the JS and back down again be potentially slower than passing it between objects within the browser?

John

John Elwell
Tel: +44 1908 817801 (office and mobile)
Email: john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com
http://www.siemens-enterprise.com/uk/

Siemens Enterprise Communications Limited.
Registered office: Brickhill Street, Willen Lake, Milton Keynes, MK15 0DJ.
Registered No: 5903714, England.

Siemens Enterprise Communications Limited is a Trademark Licensee of Siemens AG.