Re: [rtcweb] Usecase & architecture: Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver

"Ravindran Parthasarathi" <pravindran@sonusnet.com> Mon, 05 September 2011 19:14 UTC

Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 00:46:08 +0530
From: Ravindran Parthasarathi <pravindran@sonusnet.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, hoang.su.tk@gmail.com, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Usecase & architecture: Browser application with separate webserver & voipserver

Bernard,

Sorry for the delay reply.

There is a huge difference between tunneling the protocol and converting
the protocol from one format to another. The tunneling works well only
in case the destination support the tunneled data without negotiation.
It will be bad assumption in case the standard does not defined so.  For
example,

1)      Browser A supports Jingle (XMPP for real-time data) and
encapsulates the data in HTTP and send it to webserver1

2)      RTCwebserver1 tunnel jingle data in SIP and sends it to
RTCwebserver2

3)      RTCwebserver2 does not support Jingle towards browser but it
support some other variant of HTTP based metadata to the browser.

My question is how webserver2 do perform the interop correctly in case
Jingle is not mandated as metadata standard mechanism. Please let me
know your opinion here.

My understanding was that RTCwebserver1 may use some proprietary
mechanism (may be jingle) to communicate between browser and webserver
which will be converted into RFC 3261 SIP at webserver1 and forwarded to
RTCwebserver2. RTCWebserver2 converts back SIP to its own proprietary
metadata to communicate with browser. This mechanism works well but
still better mechanism exists.

Thanks

Partha