Re: [rtcweb] Ericsson's position on codecs

Maire Reavy <mdr@reavy.org> Tue, 24 July 2012 17:35 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 13:35:05 -0400
From: Maire Reavy <mdr@reavy.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Ericsson's position on codecs

On 7/24/2012 8:40 AM, Roman Shpount wrote:
> I would like to note that AMR, EVS, and AMR-WB would require royalty
> payments for their use. G.719 has a license agreement that is not
> always acceptable for open source projects. I am not sure that either
> would provide better quality then OPUS at similar bandwidths. Because
> of this I would sincerely hope that none of those codecs are required.
+1.  OPUS is a better solution and the only one I hope we mandate (other
than G.711).

Regarding video: H.264 requires royalty payments and agreements as well,
and so mandating H.264 is *extremely* problematic for open-source groups
and distributions (not just open-source browsers). It makes open-source
use of WebRTC virtually impossible without violating the spec (by not
implementing a mandatory codec).

-Maire