[savi] More Opinions, Please - On the Protection of Unused Addresses

Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@ericsson.com> Mon, 29 June 2009 23:11 UTC

From: Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:12:07 -0700
Subject: [savi] More Opinions, Please - On the Protection of Unused Addresses

Folks -

I would like to solicit more feedback on the benefit-cost analysis
(below) for protecting unused addresses. How valuable do people consider
protection of unused addresses, how much cost do they think is OK?  Is
there something that the analysis overlooks?  We already got several
very useful comments from a few people.  What do the others think?

To recap:  We need to decide between the following three options of
dealing with unused addresses:

- Not protect unused addresses, i.e., forward packets without a binding.
   Logging is still possible, though.

- Protect unused addresses, and coordinate SAVI devices on the same link
   by manually disabling SAVI protection on ports connecting to other
   SAVI devices.

- Protect unused addresses, and coordinate SAVI devices on the same link
   with a dedicated binding synchronization protocol.

Please send your feedback by Sunday, July 5.  We will vote after that.

- Christian