The Nominating Committee or, as it is typically known, the NomCom, exists to review open IAB, IESG, IETF Trust, and IETF LLC positions and to nominate a candidate for each.
The NomCom is comprised of at least one chair, 10 voting volunteers, 4-5 liaisons, and an advisor. The NomCom Chair is appointed between the first and second meetings of the year, and the new NomCom officially begins its work once the selected volunteers are seated following the volunteer solicitation, random selection, and community review time periods.
Details of the selection and operation of the Nomcom can be found in IAB, IESG, IETF Trust, and IETF LLC Selection, Confirmation, and Recall Process: Operation of the Nominating and Recall Committees (BCP 10) and Publicly Verifiable Nominations Committee (NomCom) Random Selection (RFC3797).
The NomCom Chair
- Is appointed by the Internet Society President
- Ensures that NomCom completes its duties on schedule and in the best interest of the community
- Does not vote on the selection of the candidates
- Serves as an advisor to the next NomCom
The IAB, IESG, IETF Trust, and IETF LLC each provide a liaison to serve on NomCom, and ISOC Board of Trustees may also choose to provide a liaison.
The ten voting members of the NomCom are selected through a complex, random process detailed in RFC 3797. In order to serve on the NomCom, an individual must satisfy one of the conditions specified in RFC 9389, which are:
- Must have attended at least 3 out of the last 5 IETF meetings (in person or online); or
- Must have been a Working Group Chair or Secretary within last three years; or
- Must have been listed as an author or editor on the front page of at least two IETF Stream RFCs within the last five years.
Once the NomCom has recommended candidates for the open positions, the candidates are reviewed and confirmed by another body. The IAB is responsible for confirming IESG candidates, the ISOC Board of Trustees confirms candidates for the IAB, and the IESG confirms the candidates for the IETF Trust and IETF LLC positions.
For more information, see: